French Baron Cason and Thomas H. Cason Memorial Scholarship Fund
This scholarship was established by the will of Lucinda Cason Vitez in memory of her parents French Baron Cason and Thomas H. Cason.
To provide a college scholarship to a deserving Upson-Lee High School Senior who demonstrates academic achievement and financial need.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
- Applicant must be a graduating senior at Upson-Lee High School in good standing with a minimum 3.0 GPA.
- Applicant must demonstrate financial need and list other scholarships that he/she has applied for.
- Applicant must enroll in the college/university in the fall semester following his/her high school graduation.
- Scholarship recipient will be announced at the Upson-Lee High School Senior Honor’s Night.
- This scholarship is renewable for up to four years, contingent upon the recipient maintaining at least a 3.0 GPA and being enrolled full-time (12 hours).
- If the student fails to maintain 3.0 GPA and loses the Scholarship for that year, he or she may be awarded the scholarship the next school year by bringing up the GPA to a 3.0, with final approval to be made by the selection committee.
Additional Short Answer Questions and Attachments
On the last page, you will select the French Baron Cason and Thomas H. Cason Memorial Scholarship Fund and complete the following additional information:
- Provide the name and email address of one reference who has agreed to submit a letter of recommendation for you. This recommendation should come from a teacher, coach or mentor. This person will receive an email from our system allowing them to submit your recommendation. Please ask them before submitting their email address and let them know when you have submitted your application because that is when they will receive the email.
- A resume listing your school and community activities, athletics, awards, offices held, and other relevant experience.
- Your most recent high school transcript – you must request this from your current school.
- A current, submitted FAFSA Student Aid Report that indicates the value of your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) in the upper right hand corner. If this value is not shown, your application will be considered incomplete.
Amount of Award: Typically $1,000
Number of Awards: Four total, one new recipient selected annually
Renewal for Prior Recipients: A prior recipient of this scholarship fund is eligible to renew the award each subsequent year of his/her undergraduate education career for up to four years. In order to renew, he/she must:
- Complete the online renewal application by March 15th of each year.
- Submit an unofficial transcript firstname.lastname@example.org at the end of each fall and spring semester for which he/she receives the scholarship.
- Maintain full-time enrollment, completing 12 or more credit hours each fall and spring semester he/she receives the scholarship.
- Maintain the eligibility criteria as defined in the scholarship’s guidelines.
If a prior recipient does not maintain the eligibility criteria or faces unique circumstances that require him/her to take time off or take a reduced course load for a semester, the student should contact the Community Foundation to determine if he/she is eligible for continued funding.