Middle Georgia TRIO Scholarship
Upward Bound, a TRIO program, gives students from low-income families the academic support necessary to help them enter college. In 2018, alumni of the TRIO program held a reunion and decided to create a scholarship fund as a way to give back to current students in the TRIO program.
The purpose of this scholarship is to help central Georgia students who participated in a TRIO program (Educational Talent Search, Upward Bound or Educational Opportunity Centers) during high school pursue a college education.
- Be a graduating senior who has participated in a TRIO program during high school.
- Reside in or attend high school in Baldwin, Bibb, Crawford, Jones, Monroe, Twiggs, or Wilkinson counties.
- Have at least a 2.75 cumulative GPA on a 4.0 scale.
Applicants will be selected based on the following criteria:
- Preference will be given to applicants who participated in a TRIO program (Educational Talent Search, Upward Bound or Educational Opportunity Centers) during high school.
- Likelihood to succeed based on the applicant’s Volunteer Service, Personal Statement responses, and Recommendations.
Additional Short Answer Questions and Attachments
On the last page of the application, you will select the Middle Georgia TRIO Scholarship Fund and complete the following additional information:
- Four Personal Statements:
- Describe an experience that sparked your interest in your intended major or career field. How do you plan to achieve your career goal?
- Provide one example of a challenge you have overcome or a problem you have solved. What was the challenge or problem, and how did you overcome it? What did you learn from this?
- Give one example of a way you have given back to your community, through a volunteer activity or by helping another person. What was the impact as a result of your service?
- Give one example of how TRIO helped you in high school and how you think this scholarship will continue to help you in college.
- Please indicate which TRIO programs you participated in during high school (select all that apply):
- Educational Talent Search
- Upward Bound
- Educational Opportunity Centers
- Two letters of recommendation. One recommendation must come from a TRIO project director or administration. The other recommendation can be from a teacher, administrator, or community leader.
- A resume listing your work, school and community activities, athletics, awards, offices held, and other relevant experience.
- Your most recent high school transcript.
Amount of Award: $500 renewable for up to 4 years
Number of Awards: One per year
Renewal for Prior Recipients: A prior recipient of this scholarship fund is eligible to renew the award each subsequent year of his/her undergraduate education career for up to four years. In order to renew, he/she must:
- Complete the online renewal application in CFCG’s Web Portal by March 15th of each year.
- Submit an unofficial transcript to email@example.com at the end of each fall and spring semester for which he/she receives the scholarship.
- Maintain the eligibility criteria as defined in the scholarship’s guidelines.
If a prior recipient does not maintain the eligibility criteria or faces unique circumstances that require him/her to take time off or take a reduced course load for a semester, the student should contact the Community Foundation to determine if he/she is eligible for continued funding.