P. Allen Golson Scholarship Fund
Allen Golson’s philosophy on life stemmed from the belief that there was nothing an individual could not overcome or succeed at as long as they believed in themselves and worked hard toward their goals. Throughout his lifetime, Allen remained true to his philosophy; he rose out of childhood poverty to become a successful leader and businessman as well as a loving and devoted husband to his wife of 30 years.
Allen graduated from high school in Prattville, Alabama, then immediately enrolled in the U.S. Navy. He served on the USS Saratoga for 4 years as a dental technician. Following his Navy service Allen enrolled at the University of Alabama where he earned his B.S. degree in Health Care Management. He later earned his M.B.A. in Business Administration from the S.E. Institute of Technology in Huntsville, Alabama.
One week after graduating from the University of Alabama, Allen married his wife Carol and then began his career in the health care industry. For a span of 30 years, Allen worked his way up in the industry to become CEO of various hospitals. His last position before his death was CEO of Coliseum Health Care Systems in Macon, Georgia.
Allen’s extracurricular activities included aviation (he held a private pilot’s license for more than 20 years), membership in the Alabama National Guard, umpiring Little League baseball, golf, snow skiing, watching Alabama football games, and spending time with his beloved pets which included cats, dogs, and horses.
To provide college scholarships to students attending the University of Alabama who graduated from a public or private high school in one of the following central Georgia counties: Monroe, Bibb, Peach, Houston, Jones, Lamar, Baldwin or Spalding County.
- Applicants must attend the University of Alabama.
- Applicants must be graduates of a high school in Monroe, Bibb, Peach, Houston, Jones, Lamar, Baldwin or Spalding County. A preference will be given to students from Monroe or Bibb County.
- Applicants must have and maintain a minimum cumulative 2.5 GPA.
Applicants will be selected based on the following:
- Essay about choosing to attend the University of Alabama.
- Ability to balance their academic and extracurricular or civic activities.
- Demonstrated financial need.
Additional Short Answer Questions and Attachments
On the last page, you will select the P. Allen Golson Scholarship Fund and complete the following additional information:
- A short essay describing why you want to attend the University of Alabama and why it is the right institution for your education.
- A resume listing your school and community activities, athletics, awards, offices held, and other relevant experience.
- Your most recent high school or college transcript – you must request this from your current school.
- A current, submitted FAFSA Student Aid Report that indicates the value of your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) in the upper right hand corner. If this value is not shown, your application will be considered incomplete.
Amount of Award: At least $500
Number of Awards: Varies, up to four per year, with at least one new recipient selected annually
Renewal for Prior Recipients: A prior recipient of this scholarship fund is eligible to renew the award each subsequent year of his/her undergraduate education career for up to four years. In order to renew, he/she must:
- Complete the online renewal application by March 15th of each year.
- Submit an unofficial transcript email@example.com at the end of each fall and spring semester for which he/she receives the scholarship.
- Maintain full-time enrollment, completing 12 or more credit hours each fall and spring semester he/she receives the scholarship.
- Maintain the eligibility criteria as defined in the scholarship’s guidelines.
If a prior recipient does not maintain the eligibility criteria or faces unique circumstances that require him/her to take time off or take a reduced course load for a semester, the student should contact the Community Foundation to determine if he/she is eligible for continued funding.